Sunday, July 3, 2011

Sam Hamill and Carolyn Forche

ENG 102

Sam Hamill and Carolyn Forché
            I think after reading these two pieces, I have a greater understanding of poetry of witness.  My original thoughts were that this area of poetry was designed to tug on heart strings and illicit a deep emotional response in order to engage the reader.  I thought that by making the audience feel for the subject matter and relate to it the poet’s job was done.
Now that I have read the articles by Sam Hamill and Carolyn Forché I think that it goes deeper.  It is giving a voice to someone who can’t, standing up and saying (loudly) “this is my belief and I will stand by it” and remembering those who have fallen in the wake of injustice or disaster.
            They have many things in common.  Carolyn Forché notes that works of witness,  “remain with us as poetic evidence of the dark times” (Forché, 140).  Sam Hamill states in different (sometimes the same) ways that, “we can’t bear very much reality” (Hamill, 546).  Forché refers to the social arena as, “a place of resistance and struggle,” (Forché, 17) while Hamill sees the violence in the world and takes his stand of resistance,” We excuse racism, sexism, homophobia by refusing to make a personal issue of the problem” (Hamill, 553).  They both feel very strongly about seeing injustice and violence and speaking out against it.
            The main difference I see is that Carolyn Forché is more concerned with global violence and strife.  She has almost contempt for poets of the United States, “Our poets, most especially, are relegated to the hermetic sphere of lyric expressivity and linguistic art, where they are expected to remain unsullied by historical, political and social forces” (Forché, 135).  Hamill is more concerned with the domestic violence we allow to continue all around us on a local level, “It begins with searching one’s own heart for the compassionate justice which is located only there” (Hamill, 553).
            I believe in both viewpoints.  I think there is room for Martin Luther King Jr. and Gandhi, Vista and Peace Corps.  If I had to side with one or the other I would lean toward the local viewpoint.  It is my opinion that in order to have true world morality we need to fix our own issues first.  This is not to say turn a blind eye to others suffering or inhumanity but if we were to become a stronger, gentler more ethical society this would stand as an example to others of what can be achieved.  And that’s what this country was founded on.
.
Works Cited
Forché, Carolyn. “The Poetry of Witness”, The Writer in Politics. Ed. William H. Gass and Lorin Cuoco. Carbondale: Southern Illinios University Press, 1996. 135-142. Print.
Forché, Carolyn. “Twentieth Century Poetry of Witness.” American Poetry Review. 22:2. March – April 199. 17. Print
Hamill, Sam. “The Necessity to Speak”. Writing as Revision. Eds. Beth Alvarado and Barbara Cully. New York: Simon and Schuster. 1996. 546-553. Print.

http://www.gimagine.com/gimagine/hcc/2008/2008-02-27-neither_memory_nor_magic/default.htm


Miklos Radnoti
I found his story, as relayed by Carolyn Forche, very compelling.  This link refers to a documentary done on  his life called "Neither Memory Nor Magic".




           

3 comments:

  1. I really appreciated how you noted that hamill is more concerned with domestic violence and forche with global strife. I also agree with this and like that you point it out as their primary difference. There is also the part where you claim they are giving a voice to those who don't have one, and observation I did not quite grasp at first. However upon further review I agree, nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good summary of Forche and Hamill’s Ideas. I liked your use of quotes to summarize their ideas this made it very easy to understand what you were trying to convey. Also the fact that reading these two pieces helped give you a better understanding of poetry of witness is good too, I felt that I learned a lot from these two authors as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a nice job explaining how Forche and Hamill view poetry of witness. I felt the same way when first viewing poetry. I never really thought about the bigger picture, and how poetry can have a powerful meaning. I love that you said It's giving a voice to those who can no longer speak for themselves. Poetry of witness really is about standing up and saying "This is how I feel, I stand by it" while discussing things that people normally brush under the rug.
    I also think that taking multiple quotes from the two readings helped in making it more understandable. It was much easier to understand why you felt the way you did. Good post.

    ReplyDelete