Sunday, July 24, 2011

Reflections

English 102 – Summer 2011

I can’t believe it’s almost over.  It has gone by quickly.   It is looking like I may survive.  This has been a challenging course.  I have learned so much.  I can now do a video or a blog if necessary and I don’t freeze at the word essay. 
The most important skill I’ve begun to employ is to step back and look at pieces, individual elements.  I’ve been able in the past to react to a poem or book but that only got me so far.  Being able to break it down and really look at it brings much more understanding.  I found this to be true with the poem “Photograph of September 11th”.  It was only when I slowed down and looked at the how and why of the people suspended in time that the poem really took shape for me.
The readings for the class have special meanings for me.  I am old enough to remember Vietnam.  My stepbrother signed up to go to the war in 1967.  He was only 17 and I was 6.  I was young but I was still keenly aware of what was going on.  As I grew and saw the repercussions of the war and I became a supporter of ask first, go to war later if at all.
My writing process has become more focused.  I still need to work on organization.
My challenges in class revolved around each assignment.  As I have stated, the word essay would stop me in my tracks.  I have never done a video.  I have never had (or read) a blog.  I have never linked images or web sites.  I have no idea what I will do for final presentation.  At this point the focus is on completing the portfolio.  I will complete the last week of assignments the way I have gotten through so far.  I take a deep breath and attempt to tackle each element one at a time, otherwise I become overwhelmed.
I do have a suggestion and future students may hate me for this but here goes.  I took English Comp. 101 literally thirty years ago (1981).  I scored well on the compass test so I was allowed to go straight to 102.  When I took 101 we did not all have a pc, I had no idea what MLA, 12 pt. font, and NTR were about.  I think English ought to be treated like Math and Science.  If Comp 101 has not been taken within the last ten years it should be a required course.  This is actually my fourth attempt at Eng. 102.  I have had to drop it for a variety of reasons.  I think the main reason is my paralyzing fear of composition.  If I had taken 101 again I think it would really have helped me.
Best of luck to all,

1 comment:

  1. Laurie,

    I completely relate to your post because we experienced a lot of the same challenges. I also would freeze at the word essay. To be perfectly honest, I somewhat still do, but I have proven to myself, as you have, that we can write because we have been given new skills, and we HAVE succeeded in writing in this class. I have discovered that it is a process that needs to be practiced and practiced. As I read your blog, I wondered if in reading other classmates’ blogs, there is a revelation of how much you yourself have learned. There are some skills I realized that I learned by reading your blog.
    I agree with your thought on ENG 101 credit expiring after so much time. I also tested into ENG 102 after 30 years passed. I went with my inner voice and took 101 over again instead of going into 102. I was glad I did because 101 had its own challenges with all the computer and MLA stuff. My success in 101 gave me the confidence to tackle the challenges I would encounter in 102. I don’t think I could have passed 102 without having taken 101 more recently. I hand it to you! Here you are, at the end of 102 and you made it! Good luck with your future classes and enjoy your time off before you jump on the tredmill again!

    ReplyDelete