Thursday, June 9, 2011

Vladimir Nabokov






          Vladamir Nabokov describes a good reader as one who is a combination of artistic passion and scientific patience.  He invites the reader to step back and take in the whole of the piece, much like his description of admiring a painting.  Mr. Nabokov notes that coming to a book or story with preconceived ideas creates a block to full enjoyment and experiencing the world the author has presented.  Imagination, memory, a dictionary and an artistic sense are traits he feels are important to being a good reader.  I like his point about rereading a work to get the full value of the writer’s intent.
I do agree with his viewpoint on being a good reader yet I would add persistence.   I consider myself a good reader and I have found at times that I have to continue reading well in to a book before it really takes hold of me.  Sometimes it never does.  On those occasions I can at least say that I’ve read the book and feel I can have a valid opinion on the work. 
A short bio on Vladimir Nabokov

2 comments:

  1. Hi Laurie
    It appears we are charting the same course in nursing, only you are a semester ahead of me. Any valuable insight?
    I enjoyed reading your post. I agree that beginning a story with preconceived ideas about it will stifle the enjoyment of what the author is presenting. I also agree that rereading is beneficial to fully absorbing what the author is trying to convey. My favorite part is your own addition about persistence. I believe that overcoming any challenges in a story, whether it has to do with imagining the scenery or conquering the vocabulary is valuable. There is something to be gleaned from completing a book, even if it's the satisfaction of getting to the last page!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked that you added persistence to the list of characteristics of a good reader. I agree reading can be difficult especially if you do not like what you are reading. This characteristic can be applied with some course readings. When I took English 101, the instructor used an environmental theme for all of our readings. I can remember forcing myself to keep reading even though I was falling asleep or losing interest really fast.

    ReplyDelete